Friday, November 10, 2006

The merciless nature of AIDS

http://www.thezimbabwean.co.uk
Tel/Fax: 02380 879675
General: 07714736382
P O Box 248, Hythe, SO45 4WX, United Kingdom

BY BRADLEY, Grade 5, Bulawayo

For six months, my young sister lay on her deathbed, with sores all over her body. She looked pale and thin and to this day, that haunts me although she passed away last year.
I questioned myself, “why is it that AIDS is merciless even to the young and innocent like my young sister. Why her specifically, who lay crying in agony every day, itching and scratching with a body full of blisters and sores.” First of all, I blamed my mother and accused her of being unfaithful to my father but as time passed, I discovered my father’s promiscuity.
My father sleeps everywhere with everyone and feels unashamed. He is merciless in the sense that he even goes for young girls who want to live the life they cannot afford. Right now, my father is going out with a student nurse at Mpilo general hospital. The lady is exceptionally beautiful and young. At times, I feel like telling her of about my father, but I am afraid he might ruthlessly beat me.
I feel very sorry and this torments my soul every day, especially if I remember my young sister whom I saw suffering up to her last breath. To her I say “ rest in peace my dearest sister and to the young nurse, please drop my father before it is too late and pray to God for redemption.”
AIDS is one of the dangerous and evil killer diseases which even tortures the young ones. Personally, If I had money, I would go behind my parents’ back and have a medical check up even though I look healthy. I assume that I was born before my mother was infected with the virus.

No comments: